|Abrar-ul-Haq (Urdu/Punjabi: ابرار الحق) (Abrar is also spelled as Ibrar) is a Pakistani pop, bhangra and folk singer. On his first album “Billo De Ghar” his name appears as simply “Abrar”. His best-known work is the song “Billo De Ghar”. Before becoming a singer, he was a teacher at Lahore’s Aitchison College. He Is Join Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaaf on 19th December 2011.
He was born on July 21 in Faisalabad. Like many other young Pakistani artists, Abrar had kept his year of birth secret from public in order to hide his age, but in a recent interview he said he was born in 1968. He used to give clues in TV programs saying he was quite young and not that old, and said he was born in the 1960’s.
He belongs to Jat clan of Kahloon based in District Narowal. His elder brother Maj (R) Israr ul Haq Kahloon is an active politician in Narowal District.
His first cousin Jawad Kahloon is also a singer,Jawad revealed that in a TV interview but he never used Abrar’s popularity as a support for his music career. Jawad’s debut song was ‘Udeekan’ featuring Shahzaman, which was a hit, he reportely has released an album named ‘Lyallpur Kare Aashiqi’.
He got his initial education from Gujrat and Rawalpindi. Took his Bachelor’s degree from Sir Syed College (Rawalpindi) and acquired Master’s degree in social sciences from Quaid-i-Azam University, (Islamabad).
He joined Aitchison College’s permanent faculty in 1996. He had to quit teaching to pursue his career in pop music; although he considers the day he joined Aitchison College the proudest day of his life.
Abrar a singer
He primarily sings in Punjabi which is the main language of bhangra genre, language of most populated province of Pakistan and Abrar’s native language. He sings in Urdu too. His popular single “Sanu Tere Nal” is in English and Punjabi.
Billo de ghar
Abrar’s first single “”Billo De Ghar”” was an instant hit along with his album. That song is still remembered today even though it was one of his oldest songs. According to his website more than 16 million copies of his debut album have been sold.
Abrar-ul-Haq has immensely come to age as a popular pop bhangra singer. His every album has brought about massive hits that topped the charts.From “Billo Day Ghar” to “Majajni”, “Bay Ja Cycle Tay” to “Punjabi Touch”, every thing was on people’s lips.
Recently, Abrar Ul Haq was asked to play a lead role in a Punjabi movie along with Gurdas Maan. Gurdas had been asking Abrar for a long time but Abrar refused because of personal issues.
Like many other famous singers Abrars’s musical work also has caused public debates.
- Billo De Ghar: His debut single, Billo De Ghar, erupted great controversy and gathered much debate. Billo is a fairly common female nickname among predominantly Muslim Punjabis of Pakistan. First line of the song, Assan Tay Jaana Billo De Ghar, Kinnay Kinnay Jaana Billo De Ghar (Punjabi: We will go to Billo’s home, who else will go to Billo’s home), was used as tease by street bullies for Billo named young-adult females. This caused a fierce reaction from the families of female victims, often resulting in physical fights. In order to avoid any more of such situations in his another single, Preeto, Abrar used a non-Muslim female nickname Preeto. This name is almost extinct in Pakistan.
- Nach Punjaban Nach: Nach Punjaban Nach (Punjabi: Dance Punjabi (woman) Dance; Punjaban is female for Punjabi), second line of Abrar’s single Punjabi Touch also caused a public outrage as it was taken as an address to all Punjabi women of Pakistan (more than 97% of Pakistani Punjabis are Muslims). Abrar was sued in Lahore High Court. He personally went to the court and told the judge that he would change the word Punjaban to Majajan. He re-recorded the song and new batch of copies of his album, Assan Jana Mall-o Mall, has the modified version of the song, however, copies of the album with older version are still available and were never pulled from the market. During a TV interview, he was asked about the meaning of Majajan. He said, “Majajan is not a word. Real word is Majajni. I changed it to Majajan to rhyme it with Punjaban.”
SAHARA for Life Trust
He is the founder and chairman of SAHARA for Life Trust (tax exempted charity organization), a charitable organisation promoting health and education in remote areas. The term SAHARA stands for: “Services Aimed at Health and Awakening in Remote Areas”.
Sughra Shafi Medical Complex
A state of the art 200 bedded hospital, providing quality healthcare facilities in Narowal district, which is one of the poorest districts in Pakistan.
Rescue, Relief & Rehabilitation for Victims
Human dignity Campaign
Letter of appreciation from President of Pakistan for composing, writing and singing the theme song “Jaggo Zara” (“Wake Up”) on the topic of Child Labor and Women Rights for The “Human Dignity Campaign”. This song was sung in the Human Rights Convention 2000in Islamabad and widely acclaimed.
Traffic Safety Campaign
A highly publicized awareness campaign was carried out in Multan in June 2000. Famous celebrities of Pakistan featured in the campaign to promote safe driving.
Flood Victims Relief Campaign
A flood victims relief campaign was carried out in August 2001 to help the victims of the Nala Lai flood in Rawalpindi. Funds were generated through caller phones to myself on PTV World. Funds were then distributed among the affectees.
Drought Victims Relief Campaign
Held a charity fundraiser concert in Dubai. Funds generated from the concert were used to distribute food, clothing, medicines etc., among the drought affectees of Sindh.
Gurdas Mann and Sukshinder Shinda
Recently, Abrar has teamed up with Gurdas Mann and Sukshinder Shinda in a Punjabi single called Collaborations. The song was an immediate success. (2006) he is a very popular singer in Pakistan and India. He is not only popular in India and Pakistan but worldwide. He had done concerts in many countries of the world like Denmark, USA, Canada, UK, UAE and etc.
Abrar-ul-Haq has collaborated with Khiza on the album titled “Turning Point” by Khiza. Abrar has also collaborated with ADH which will NOT release on the album ‘Taubah Taubah’ but as a single. Veronica’s album ‘Sanam’ will be releasing soon which will feature Abrar-ul-Haq produced by Rishi Rich. Abrar-ul-Haq’s own album will be releasing towards the end of 2009 which is rumoured to feature Gurdas Mann and Sukshinder Shinda.
Regular studio albums
- Billo De Ghar (1995)
- Majajni (1997)
- Bay Ja Cycle Tay (1999)
- Assan Jana Mall-o Mall (February 5, 2002)
- Nachan Main Audhay Naal (June 1, 2004)
- Naara Sada Ishq Aey (March, 2007)
Hits compilations / Studio albums
- Mein Gaddi Aap Chalawan Ga (2000)
- Graduate Awards for Best Singer 1999, 2000, 2001,
- PTV World Best Folk Singer 2000,
- NTM Ferguson Music Views Award 2001,
- Best Pop Singer 2001,
- Lux Style Most Popular Singer Award 2002, 2003 & 2005,
- Citizens Excellence Special Award for Best Singer and Social Worker 2002,
- Indus Music Best Pop Singer Award 2003,
- Indus Music Best Album 2004.