Gol Gappa, commonly known as Pani Puri, is a famous Indian street snack. It’s a crispy, hollow, spherical ball filled with spicy and tangy water, mashed potatoes, and chickpeas.
Gol Gappas is a popular Pakistani food that can be found in practically any place in Pakistan. In this article, we’ll share a simple recipe for Gol Gappas that you may make at home.
- 1 cup semolina
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Oil, for frying
- 2 cups boiled potatoes, mashed
- 1 cup boiled chickpeas
- 1/4 cup chopped onions
- 1/4 cup chopped coriander leaves
- 1/4 cup tamarind chutney
- 1/4 cup mint and coriander chutney
- 1/4 cup chaat masala
- 1/4 cup red chili powder
- 1/4 cup cumin powder
- 1/4 cup black salt
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- In a mixing bowl, add semolina, all-purpose flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Knead the mixture with water to make a firm dough.
- Cover the dough with a wet cloth and let it rest for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, knead the dough again and make small balls out of it.
- Roll the balls into small circles and cut them into round shapes using a cutter.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the round-shaped discs until they turn golden brown.
- Take them out on tissue paper to remove excess oil.
How to prepare:
- Take a Gol Gappa and make a small hole in the center.
- Stuff mashed potatoes and chickpeas into the hole.
- Add chopped onions and coriander leaves.
- Pour tamarind chutney and mint-coriander chutney into the Gol Gappa.
- Add chaat masala, red chili powder, cumin powder, and black salt.
- Squeeze some lemon juice on top of the Gol Gappa.
- The preparation time for Gol Gappa is approximately 45 minutes.
- This recipe can serve up to 4-5 people.
Q: Can I use wheat flour instead of all-purpose flour?
A: Yes, you can use wheat flour instead of all-purpose flour.
Q: Can I make the Gol Gappa dough in advance and store it?
A: Yes, you can make the dough in advance and store it in the fridge for up to 2 days.
Q: Can I add other vegetables to the stuffing?
A: Yes, you can add other vegetables like boiled corn, grated carrots, or chopped tomatoes to the stuffing.
Q: Can I skip the tamarind chutney?
A: Yes, you can skip the tamarind chutney if you prefer.
Q: Can I bake the Gol Gappas instead of frying them?
A: No, Gol Gappas cannot be baked, they have to be fried.
Gol Gappas are a perfect snack for any occasion, and with this easy food recipe, you can now make them at home without any hassle. This recipe is perfect for those who love spicy and tangy flavors. You can easily customize the stuffing according to your taste preferences. So, the next time you crave a spicy and flavorful snack, try making Gol Gappas at home with this recipe.
Trust us, your taste buds will thank you!